Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I’ve Arrived, Safe and Sound


Well, it’s my first day in Liberia and I’m exhausted. I left Richmond yesterday on a 4pm flight for JFK, where I had a 4½ hour layover. Once we started preparing for boarding, I was able to find Kathy and Patricia, who are two other Peace Corps Response volunteer going to Liberia. We boarded the plane to start our 14-hour flight.

When we landed, the first thing I noticed when I stepped outside was the humidity. The second thing I noticed was PC there to welcome us and pick us up. And they were a welcome sight since I was bummed because I could not find one of my bags. PC seems hopeful in retrieving my bag. With a bit of luck, I’ll have it in the next couple days. If not, I guess I’ll be buying a lot more Liberian clothes than I expected.

The drive from the airport to Monrovia was eye opening. I saw monkeys tied to trees, countless muddy fields with boys playing soccer barefoot, women everywhere carrying items on their head, and vinyl chairs sitting out in the front yards. And the whole time, all I kept thinking was how excited I was to be here.

We were dropped off at the Lutheran guesthouse at which we’ll be staying for the next four days for orientation and allowed some time to drop our things off. Then we met up with the other five Peace Corps Response volunteers, some current volunteers, and a couple PC Liberia staff for dinner at a local restaurant. It was nice to share stories and get to know each other.

And when we got back to our rooms, I promptly went to bed, hoping I would get enough sleep to give me plenty energy for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment